Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sublimation

I guess drinking a beverage with dry ice wasn't a good idea. Of course it's not safe at all and at the time I did not know that. I was at a restaurant for a birthday party and they didn't seem to know that danger of dry ice. I just learned that if I would have accidentally swallowed a piece I could've been sent to a hospital and in a lot of pain. Dry ice's temperature can range from -109.3°F or -78.5° and putting something that cold inside the body of a human being is very very dangerous. Here is a picture of Dry Ice:


Sublimation is the transition of the solid to the gas phase without passing through an intermediate liquid phase. Dry ice was an example but another one is iodine. Dry ice is a dangerous thing, but iodine is recorded to be useful for preventing breast cancer, eye disease, diabetes, and heart diseases and strokes with little amounts taken by the mouth. Iodine sublimates at a temperature of 236.7°F (113.7°C). That is much colder that dry ice, but still seems to prevent sicknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment